This OCR qualification is popular and exciting, it enables learners to gain qualifications which are equivalent to grades A*- E at A-Level. Learners will be required to complete coursework for each of the 7 units based on what they have learnt practically. All the work will be assessed through a range of real life and where possible practical scenarios (Assignments) to a specific grading criteria, Pass (E), Merit (C) or Distinction (A).
Learners will have the opportunity to develop their understanding of current health, fitness and lifestyle issues through exploring the various Units of work. The structure and assessment of this course gives learners the ability to develop other personal and organisational skills, which are essential in further education.
5 A* – C grades or equivalent at GCSE.
A* – C in Physical Education is preferred but not essential.
Four compulsory units
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology
- Sports Coaching
- Current issues in Sport
- The Physiology of Fitness
Plus 3 optional units, from the following chosen by staff.
- Sports Nutrition
- Psychology of Sports Performance
- Practical team sports
- Sports injuries
- Fitness Training & Programming
- Fitness Testing for Sports & Exercise
This qualification can open up a range of career opportunities, these can include:
- Degrees in Sports Education, Sports Development, Sports Science, Sports Coaching, Physiotherapy, Sports Journalism, Nutrition or Strength and Conditioning
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- Governing body and coaching awards
- Becoming one of the next generation of PE teachers,
- Careers in the armed Forces, Police, Fire or Ambulance service
- Careers in sports development, leisure and recreation, sports centre, teaching and leisure management.